Advertising signage surrounds us every day. We see them on the way to work while walking, shopping, and even from the window of our own house. In order to understand the huge variety of signage and understand which sign is right for you, it’s worth learning about their main types of signage.
1. Signboard without illumination – this type of advertising signage belongs to the most budget types of signage, as it does not have lighting equipment. Most often, such signs contain the names of organizations, pavilions, or small trading establishments.
2. Lightboxes are a type of box-shaped advertising signage equipped with backlighting. Simple production allows widespread use of this type of sign, which is used for any purpose.
3. Volumetric letters are the most versatile advertising examples. They are made from reliable materials – from plastic to metal, therefore, they are successfully used for both conventional and large-sized advertising installations.
4. Advertising on the roofs of buildings belongs to the most voluminous examples of advertising products. Roof advertising objects are highly visible and readable over long distances.
5. Panel brackets – a universal advertising tool, as it allows you to effectively use both sides, which leads to a significant increase in the visibility of the information label.
What color works best for an outdoor store signage
Our visual merchandising and design professionals are often asked about the choice of signage color. We asked them to write this article so that our clients are better guided in this matter.
1. What color combinations are harmoniously suitable for the design of the external sign of the store?
Color has a wide range of opportunities to attract the attention of potential buyers. There are several researchers who have compiled a list of perfectly matching colors.
The Goethe circle of natural colors and the color wheel according to Johannes Intern allow you to determine which color combinations complement each other harmoniously and which do not.
- purple and yellow;
- blue and orange;
- red and green;
- red and yellow.
Less harmonious combinations:
- blue with yellow,
- red with blue,
- green with orange,
- orange with purple
- purple with green.
What colors sell better?
The legendary book “The Psychology of Advertising” writes that the following color combinations are most preferable:
- red with dark blue and green;
- orange with sky blue, purple;
- yellow with purple and blue;
- green with purple;
- purple with orange.
And also gives examples of the most contrasting combinations of letters and background. To make the sign more visible and easy to read, choose contrasting color combinations.
Our bottom line for color combinations
After reviewing all the information, we have made our own recommendations and our own contrast scale.
Combinations are strongly discouraged:
- red with yellow;
- orange with red;
- yellow with purple;
- green with purple and yellow.
Combinations are not perceived by the eye:
- red with purple and purple;
- orange with yellow and blue-green;
- yellow with green;
- green with blue and orange;
- violet with magenta and blue.
Use our scale, which shows the best in contrast and visibility color combinations for the sign in descending order. The first number is better, the last one is worse:
IMPORTANT! Be careful with the blue color on the sign. Blue letters on a light background look good during the day, but at night they can merge into one solid blue line. You have to squint to read the inscription. This is due to the peculiarities of our perception of the color spectrum.
Our signage experts recommend considering the following color contrast features:
- a light color, being next to a dark one, seems even lighter, and a dark next to a light one – darker;
- red, in contact with green, seems richer;
- on a red background, a gray square will appear greenish, on a yellow one – bluish, on a green one – slightly pinkish, and on a blue – yellowish (chromatic contrast).
2. What colors our clients choose. Every business has its own color
We analyzed the popularity of sign colors and corporate styles of our clients and clients of a well-known design studio with which we often carry out joint projects. Based on the information provided, you can decide whether to choose a color commonly associated with your area of business or choose less traditional colors to stand out from the competition.
3. Symbolic meanings of colors
Colors have established symbolic meanings, the perception of color is the same for all groups of people, regardless of their place of residence. Here are the main ones:
- Red is considered the most powerful color, it is associated with danger, but also with love, power, fire, war. Causes anxiety, dignity, passion.
- Orange – also has a strong effect: it excites, creates a feeling of well-being. It is a symbol of celebration and nobility. Orange is visible from afar and lasts longer in memory than other colors.
- Yellow – life, movement, work of thought. Cheerful, lively, a little disturbing.
- Green – this color calms, neutralizes contradictions between other colors. Green is a symbol of peace and quiet. Gentle, soothing.
- Blue is associated with serious, strict behavior. Distance, mysterious.
- Violet is an expressive and solemn color that emphasizes maturity. Important, mysterious, ceremonial.
When ordering signage, we recommend that you remember that the color of the sign itself is a very important parameter. But still, the main thing is the appropriateness of its application, harmony with other objects and your field of activity, as well as with your target audience.
An equally important parameter is the font of the sign. Color and font is a powerful tool that will either bring clients to you or make you invisible.
Hopefully, this information will give you an idea of common color associations in humans.
Another article on this blog that might interests you: